Saturday, January 2, 2010

Old vs. New


We have a gramophone, an analog stereo system (amplifier, radio, double cassette player/recorder), big old loudspeakers, old TV (not even flat screen), old VCR, no DVD. If we want to listen to a CD, we connect a discman to this old stereo system.

NEW: I think we should replace this entire anachronistic 'package' with a new, functional home cinema system. After all, music and movies now mostly come from the net, so all you need is a comm cable and USB connector (for disk-on-keys).

OLD: I am not a gadget person. I don't like learning new buttons.

NEW: I am not a nostalgic type of person. Things that happened in the past are all in a big nebulous timeframe, whether they happened 2, 5 or 10 years ago.

OLD: I have an ancient cell phone which I'll carry until it dies. I won't buy myself a new, technical item while the old one functions well.

NEW: For my own home, I prefer functional, new designs over intricate antique furniture.

OLD: I won't buy any new item just to feel renewal, only if I need it. Don't understand why people need more than a small number of any type of item in their possession. Imelda Marcos's shoe collection comes to mind.

NEW: I am an early adopter of the newest versions of software applications I use.

CONFUSED.



No comments: